HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Loving Scrappy Quilts!

Do you love scrappy quilts?  I'm crazy for scrappy quilts!  I think it's because I love fabric, and making scrappy quilts gives me the opportunity to include tons of the fabrics I love.  It also allows me to play with fabric I'm not so crazy about.....dare I say "ugly" fabric.  In the mix of scrappy heaven, you can use an "ug" here and there, and then it's not so bad.  I'm trying to warm up to using some of the reproduction standards that I'm not so crazy about, such as poison green, chrome yellow, and cheddar.  I've begun using cheddar, although I'm choosing pieces that aren't very bright, prompting my friends to say that, techinically then, it's not cheddar at all.  Sigh.  I'm trying!  I did make a few cheddar, poison green, and chrome yellow hexagons, but in the end, I only used a few of them.  Baby steps...OK! 

For those of us madly in love with scrap quilts...have I got a book for you!



This awesome book contains patterns for 29 quilts, chosen by the editors of American Patchwork & Quilting magazine as their favorites!  There's a wide variety of styles from some of your favorite designers.  I'm very partial to many, whom I am very lucky to call my friend, such as Julie Hendricksen of J.J. Stitches, Kathie Holland of Inspired by Antique Quilts, and pal Tara Lynn Darr of Sew Unique Creations!  Oh...and I'm very honored to say I have three quilts in this book!!

Many of the patterns in this book were only available in the original magazine issues in which they appeared....until now!  That's true for two of my quilts....



Mix It Up, made in 1930's reproduction fabrics, features one of my favorite blocks, Jacob's Ladder.  It's such a simple block to piece, and puts on a big show!  Depending on how you postion the blocks, you get very fun secondary designs!  I'm also very fond of the playful border!




Scattered Leaves made the cover of American Patchwork & Quilting and has remained a favorite of quilters all over the world.  It's a favorite for me as well, not only because it was my first "Cover Girl", but also because two of my best friends dug into their fabric stashes and helped me piece this quilt!  It wouldn't have been the same scrappy-wonderful without them! 


Color Rich is a new version of my quilt Blueberry Pie.  The Color Rich version is constructed in the same way, but uses a palette of warm earthy toned fabrics, which are quite lovely!   Blueberry Pie, which is also pictured in the book, uses a wide variety of blue fabrics.

So...take my word for it.....if you're a scrap quilt lover, you'll want to add the Better Homes & Gardens Scrappy Quilt book to your library!!  Look for it at your favorite quilt shop, or you can order it from me by clicking here.

Thanks for stopping by!!  Pam

5 comments:

  1. Cannot go wrong with a scrappy quilt, I too love fabric and I want to use as much as I can! This looks like a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this book!! Have sold many copies at the shop- thanks for highlighting this very versatile book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you when it comes to scrappy quilts - love them also.

    I have not seen this book yet - will have to be on the lookout for it.
    Congratulations on your three quilts being included in the book.

    Charlotte
    SO. CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well just how exciting is this! LOve your quilts especially the 30's quilt
    I need one of these books ;)
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came over from Kathie's blog. She makes some great quilts and from what I see here, so do you. I looked at this book and wanted it, but my arms were already full with things I "needed" that would take me over budget as it was. Hopefully I can squeeze it out of an upcoming budget.

    ReplyDelete